Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 1999 17:03:06 -0800
From:      Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ports Collection nits

Guise-

I am using the Ports Collection as a major source of input data for
a developmental online information service.  As I work on this, I
will be finding assorted problems in the Collection.  Here is the
first installment of general notes; let me know if I am using the
wrong addressee, if you don't want to hear about this stuff, etc.

Also, if I come up with (putatively :-) cleaner COMMENTS and DESCR
files, should I send them to the MAINTAINER email address, to this
address, or both?  (Of course, if no MAINTAINER is listed, I'll use
this address. :-)

The snapshot I discuss below was downloaded from ftp.cdrom.com on
19990318.  If you want a copy of the (rather primitive :-) script I
am using to check things out, let me know...

 *  Quite a few of the path names from the second and fourth fields of
    the INDEX file (e.g., .../print/c2ps-a4/../c2ps-letter/pkg/DESCR)
    contain the string "../".  This seems unnecessarily convoluted.  Is
    there a functional reason for this or is it just an artifact (e.g.,
    of a moved directory or a spin-off package)?

 *  Some of the directory names listed in INDEX do not exist in the
    downloaded archive:

      /usr/ports/games/pente
      /usr/ports/japanese/yatex
      /usr/ports/japanese/yatex-xemacs
      /usr/ports/net/ircd-hybrid-5
      /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/py-gtk

 *  The DESCR file for /usr/ports/net/ascend-radius is empty.

-r

P.S.  I plan to write up the Ports Collection in "Silicon Carny"
      (my column in SunWorld Online).  Whoever wants to play at
      being a critic of _my_ work should let me know...
--
Rich Morin:          rdm@cfcl.com, +1 650-873-7841, http://www.ptf.com/~rdm
Prime Time Freeware: info@ptf.com, +1 408-433-9662, http://www.ptf.com