Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 13:36:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD-hackers), freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   SysV init

I'm about to embark on the dreaded SysV init path.

(Please keep the hisses and boos to a minimum...)

Before I start hacking up the FreeBSD init.  I've been looking at coming
up with a "Universal" init version which would use /etc/ttys if present
or /etc/inittab.

I'm looking to base the code off of the current FreeBSD init, instead of
porting the Linux one so it'll be GPL free.

Before I start -- has anyone done this yet?  Is anyone else interested
in this capability?

Any chance for utmp space to record the run level in future versions --
or should I just record it in /var/run/runlevels in it's own file for
compatibility.

I guess who will need the -r  option -- anything else needed?

Bill

 Bill Pechter/Carolyn Pechter  | 17 Meredith Drive, Tinton Falls, NJ 07724,
 908-389-3592                  | pechter@shell.monmouth.com
 This message brought to you by the letters VAX and the numbers 11 and 780.