Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 1996 17:18:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe <mitayai@dreaming.org>
To:        wes@intele.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: apache server

On Wed, 7 Feb 1996 wes@intele.net wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Feb 1996, bill clarke wrote:
>  > i am up and running FBSD 2.1 and running one web site on the apache
>  > server.
>  >
>  > i want to add some more web sites(with their own domain names). do i
>  > need to acquire a unique ip address for each URL, or is there a way to
>  > host multiple sites on my server with only my single assigned ip?
>
> Marc G. Fournier writes:
>  > 	I've been following comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix for the
>  > past while, and this question keeps coming up.  Apache requires a
>  > unique IP for each virtual server that you have running.  Someone brought
>  > up something about one of the commercial OSs/Servers being able to do
>  > this, but I don't recall which it was (AIX maybe? *shrug*)  Nobody
>  > confirmed or denied it though
>
> On FreeBSD, could you get away with each virtual server using an alias
> IP address?  Routing might get a little messy, depending on your
> configuration, but this might work.

Hrm? I allocate an IP for each of my virtual hosts, drop them in my DNS
database, then run the following at bootup to alias them to my ethernet
device, 198.96.119.1:

ifconfig ed0 alias 198.96.119.3 netmask 0xffffffff
ifconfig ed0 alias 198.96.119.5 netmask 0xffffffff
.
.
.
[etc]

This seems to work great... but is there a better way?

   Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe at DreamLabs Community Information Network
              Toronto/Peterborough/Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
           Web: http://www.dreaming.org/~mitayai  IRC: Mitayai
                       Email: mitayai@dreaming.org