Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2018 22:24:00 -0700
From:      Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Ed Schouten <ed@nuxi.nl>, daniel.nelson@influxdb.com
Subject:   "Sysctl as a Service" for influxdb / telegraf

Resurrecting a somewhat old thread:

I've been talking with the maintainer of telegraf about implementing
an importer for the Prometheus exporter. They mentioned that they'd
prefer a slightly different format. I'd like to add a new independent
application similar to prometheus_sysctl_exporter for the influx wire
format.

Why independent? The set of options that each offer differ and the two
formats will grow more different over time. For example prometheus
supports descriptions, while influx support data types.

Is there any objections to adding another application? If so, would a
new output format for the existing binary be okay?