Date:      Wed, 24 May 2006 23:48:53 -0400
From:      "Howard Leadmon" <howard@leadmon.net>
To:        "'Howard Leadmon'" <howard@leadmon.net>, "'Rong-en Fan'" <grafan@gmail.com>
Cc:        'Konstantin Belousov' <kostikbel@gmail.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, 'Kris Kennaway' <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   RE: Trouble with NFSd under 6.1-Stable, any ideas?

 I need to follow up to the below, as I am not sure why the below test with
the vfs_lookup.c didn't pan out the first time, but with my new found
knowledge on cvs I was determined to regress the system till I found the
smoking gun so to speak, which I have done.

 First let me say that instead of running RELENG_6_1 like Rong-en is, I am
running the RELENG_6 tree that I know updates more often, but seems to work
well for me.

 OK, so as I said above I started to regress the system a couple days at a
time, till suddenly NFS stared working again, so I knew at that point it was a
change that was made.  So then I started to narrow the time range, till I got
to the point that it broke.   Sure enough under the RELENG_6 branch, this time
was as follows:

*default tag=RELENG_6 date=2006.04.30.03.57.00   (Works OK)

*default tag=RELENG_6 date=2006.04.30.03.58.00   (Broken)

So what's changed at that delta, under the one that works vfs_lookup.c is:

 Edit src/sys/kern/vfs_lookup.c
  Add delta 1.80.2.6 2006.03.31.07.39.24 kris

Under the one that fails the vfs_lookup.c is:

 Edit src/sys/kern/vfs_lookup.c
  Add delta 1.80.2.7 2006.04.30.03.57.46 kris

 So I stand corrected on my last post, the issue is in fact in this module, as
just taking that module back to 1.80.2.6 fixes the problem with my server.   I
even took multiple NFS clients and gave them a heavy workload, and CPU still
remained reasonable, and very responsive.  As soon as I rev to the new
version, NFS breaks badly and even a single client doing something like a du
of a directory structure results in sluggishness and extreme CPU usage.

 I am not a coder, so not sure why this module was changed, but unless there
is some good reason why the changes were needed I would suspect it needs to be
rolled back, or something fixed.   So Rong-en Fan, I think you were dead on
with your analysis that the issue is in fact inside the vfs_lookup.c module.

I hope this helps...

---
Howard Leadmon - howard@leadmon.net
http://www.leadmon.net