Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 1995 20:49:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        karl@mcs.com (Karl Denninger MCSNet)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sync of systems

> What's everyone's favorite way of doing this?
>
> Common binaries and libs that are on multiple machines we mount from a
> repository, but system stuff isn't a good idea to handle that way.

Oof, I don't like that...  too many problems over the years has (finally)
convinced me that NFS is inherently evil and at odds with the concept of
"reliable system" - and with 500MB of SCSI disk being relatively cheap, and
500MB of IDE disk being even cheaper - you can bet that I've been avoiding
NFS in a major way.  :-)  I only use automounted NFS for home directories
these days..

(too many problems with one downed Sun taking the world down with it, due to
the ripple effect).

> Is rdist still the best bet?  Or are there other tools to keep directories
> like /bin and /usr/bin in sync across multiple systems?

Personally I still swear by rdist, but the reporting mechanism is grungy at
best (if you choose to use it).  It's pretty flexible, reasonably fast, and
part of the base system (a very large ADvantage).

... Joe