Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2017 10:15:03 +0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        scratch65535@att.net, krad <kraduk@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is pkg quarterly really needed?

On 20/4/17 4:37 am, scratch65535@att.net wrote:
> [Default] On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 15:57:02 +0100, krad
> <kraduk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> quarterly does seem very cautious, maybe a monthly might be a good
>> alternative.
> I have to STRONGLY disagree.
>
> Right now, pkg isn't smart enough not to use version-skewed bits.
> Which means that, for those of us trying to use freebsd and the
> ports/pkgs as *tools* wherewith to do other work, we have to run
> pkg upgrade -fy every cursėd quarter, not just when the minor
> number changes.  With crappy access to the inet (something true
> of most of the USA and Canada outside Really Big Cities) that
> costs half a day or more.
>
> If it were every month, I'd with unconsolable regret abandon
> freebsd for linux (ptui!).  (Right now, it's quite hard to resist
> the paranoid suspicion that maybe this crazy, anti-real-user
> behavior is a subtle way to kill freebsd altogether by driving
> away the non-hobbyists.)
I have to agree with you. It is most frustrating
The only way to sanity is to totally ignore the quarterly releases,
and if you have changes, use poudriere to build what you need yourself
once a month or whatever, or if you don't have changes, take snapshots
of the entire pkg tree every now and then. (we do both for different
reasons).. My snapshot is kept out on an amazon machine we have, as
it's purpose is to "freeze in time" the head branch of the pkg tree.
This means we can come back in a week and get  a new pkg that we now
need and know it is compatible with the other ones we have. I don't
have to download the entire collection through my crappy link. just
the ones I need.
The trouble is that the people doing ports and pkg management really
don't really have production systems in mind and rarely really
understand the requirements of such. (reproducible builds from
scratch, and the ability to append to an existing  frozen-in-time
release (for debug or bug-fix reasons). They ESPECIALLY don't
understand the requirement to have access to old sets of packages, so
you need to do it yourself.