Date:      Thu, 05 Jun 1997 06:01:00 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Branson Matheson <branson.matheson@ferginc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cyclades boards and Minor numbers

>>    The man page is wrong. I fixed that some time ago to support more boards
>> as you can plug in.
>
> Hmmm... then I am in a quandry... the first two boards work fine. The
> third board probes correctly. When I attach to a device using tip...
> it connects but no data passes through... when I try to disconnect it
> hangs.
>
> Here is the hung process information:
> branson  10955  0.0  1.7   260  524  pg  INE+ -          0:00.00 (tip)
> branson  10956  0.0  0.0     0    0  pg  ZN+  -          0:00.00 (tip)
>
> Here is the probe information:
> cy0 irq 5 maddr 0xd4000 msize 8192 on isa
> cy1 irq 11 maddr 0xd6000 msize 8192 on isa
> cy2 irq 15 maddr 0xd8000 msize 8192 on isa
>
> And the device I am using with tip from /etc/remote:
> kheldar|cuac20:pa=none:dv=/dev/cuac20:br#9600
>
> I have tried nullmodeming the port on the cy and see no data comming
> thru. I have verified the settings on the boards, and on the cards.
> I can switch cables between cards and it works as expected... so I am
> rather stumped. Any other ideas?

   Hmmm. There isn't an architectural problem - that's what I fixed, but
I only have two Cyclades units here, so I've not been able to test a
configuration of 3 or more. It _should_ work, however. Do the probe messages
match the actual board configuration? Is it possible that there is an IRQ
conflict in your machine with irq15 (which is often assigned to a secondary
IDE bus, for example)?

-DG

David Greenman