Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 01:24:28 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Very odd clock problem

> > Er, the system clock is not capable of representing the year 1933 (in any
> > valid fashion).
>
> Well it surpised me too ! Can the system clock not take negative values
> like time_t then ? (whatever type time_t happens to be this week :-) )
> I was assuming it was a signed 32 bit number and was getting set to
> something like 0xBB000000 or thereabouts.

Yes, it can *take* a negative value, but because it's typically
manipulated through arithemetic with other time_t's, it'd be fairly hard
for it to suddenly become large and negative by any legitimate means.

> > This sounds like either memory corruption or an in-kernel sniper bug of
> > some sort.  You don't help the diagnosis any by saying "losing time" and
> > then complaining about a "jump".  The two are very different things, and
> > you need to be much more specific about what is actually happening.
>
> Fair comment.
>
> What happens specificly is this: I get a user (and its always the same user)
> who complains that the dates on his outgoing emails are being timestamped in
> 1933. I login, type 'date' and sure enough it says it is a date in
> 1933. I then reset the date. There is nothing in the log files to indicate
> what has happened - other than the date on other messages jumping back
> to sometime in May (the year isnt logged in /var/log/messages I assume,
> but the month change is very obvious and I am assuming this co-incides
> with the year date change).

Why is it only this user?  Are they your only user that cares?  Or does
the time step only happen when they are sending mail?

> We were running ntpd, and stopped in case it was a corrupt ntp server
> somewhere. That didnt help. We have also changed ntp servers to a different
> set of machines. Once again to no effect. Could this be a clock
> battery problem at all ? I wouldnt have thought the battery was used
> with the machine powered up, but it is the only thing
> I can think of off the top of my head. It happened again this morning,
> there is no pattern to when the jumps occur that I can see.

It's unlikely to be the clock battery; the clock is only read at startup;
the system maintains time itself after that (keeping the clock in sync).

I'm really at a loss here; as I said, it sounds like a very specific
kernel sniper bug of some sort. 8(