Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 04:28:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Holloway <daveh@tamis.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make this a relese coordinator decision (was Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued)

maybe I am just being ignorant, but....
just how difficult can this be???

how different do ports-current and ports-stable have to be?
(unless 2.x and 3.x are completely non portable
 between each other, in which case.. that is a mistake)

the existence of ports-stable could be
considered a walnut-creek-cdrom issue.
personally, I think perl sucks, it leads to poor code.
but it is deeply accepted that perl4 should be found
on all systems,

(No we dont have to follow linux junkies and make perl5 default.
while doing some porting, I discovered that linux(redhat)
has ppmtoxpm and bmptoppm in /usr/bin ?? what is up with that?
my point? tcl and perl5 dont belong in the base.)