Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2001 19:43:43 -0600
From:      Darren Crotchett <darren@crotchett.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: updating

> Okay, you seem to be very confused about things, ....

Is it that obvious :)?

Here's a play by play (as close as I can recall everything).

It started a month or so ago when I decided that I should keep my system as
up to date as possible for security reasons.  I was running 4.3-RELEASE.  To
update it, I went to /stand/sysinstall and chose update from the menu.  I did
the update via passive ftp.  I recall it warning me that my src's would not
be updated.  At the time I couldn't remember the message.  Then, I continued
with the update.  When I rebooted, I discovered that I the system would not
boot.  So, I figured out that I could boot my old kernel by typing "boot
kernel.prev" after booting stopped.  Keep in mind that I'm teaching myself
networking and this box is not running anything critical, just my web page.
But, I want to use it to learn set up other services.  Anyway, since I
couldn't remember the message that I had gotten earlier and coupled with the
fact that I don't have a monitor on this box (I just ssh in), and coupled
with the fact that I would have to plug in a monitor to see exactly what
errors I was getting on boot, I decided I'd let it ride awhile until I had
more time to fix it.

After other areas of my life simmered down a little, I decided to try to run
down my problems (I prefer to do that because I'll learn something) or just
do a backup and start over.  So, I downloaded the 4.4-RELEASE iso's.  And, I
posted a question to this list a couple of days ago looking for advice on how
to resolve these issues.  I got a reply, but never really got anything that I
could work with.  So today, I decided that I'd just boot to the CD and run
the update program from there.  That's when I got the same warning message
about that I got the first time.  It basically warns me that my /usr/src will
not be updated and that I should use CVSup or some other method that handles
"deletion events".  I continued with the install and when I rebooted, the 4.4
kernel booted.  Now, all is well when I reboot.  I really don't know what was
wrong with it, other than the kernel wasn't there.  OK.  That brings me to
the current problem.

I decided to try to update the part that I was warned about.  I've never used
CVS before.  So, I started out reading most of the man page.  That gave me
some direction, but I wasn't getting anywhere.  So, I went to the FreeBSD
website and found a link to a tutorial.  I attempted to follow it.  I set my
CVSROOT environment variable to /usr/src.  Then, I tried to follow the next
step in the tutorial which was to type cvsinit.  But, I get "command not
found".  If I type "cvs update", I get:
fbsd# cvs update
cvs [update aborted]: /usr/src/CVSROOT: No such file or directory

Since I couldn't find the cvsinit file anywhere, I assumed that I'd need to
get it.  So, I went to the /usr/ports/devel/cvsutils directory and tried to
run make (I was hoping that would give me the cvsinit file).  That didn't
work.  Make craps out.  Now I remember trying to install something the other
day and getting pretty much the same errors.  I'm starting to see the
connection to the warning message and having outdated sources.

That's all that I can think of.  I might have left out something obvious, but
I don't know what it would be.  But, if you need anything else, let me know.

TIA,
Darren