Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 23:34:04 +0000
From:      Martin Nilsson <martin@filex.se>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        bright@wintelcom.net
Subject:   Re: amr still seems to have issues.

* Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> [000421 10:57] wrote:

> > Hmm.  Looks like I'm not retiring the wedged command correctly.  This is
> > a symptom, rather than the real problem, though.  See if disabling the
> > command timeout stuff makes the system happy - either these commands are
> > just taking a _long_ time to complete, or you have another problem.
>
> Yes, I've been thinking I may need some firmware upgrade from AMI?
>
> I'll look into it.
>
> Ok, the latest firmware is the uf80-1.61, which is on the card.

The latest firmware for the series 428 cards is UF82. Get it from
www.ami.com

> > I _still_ think you have disk, cable or enclosure issues, but now that
> > you've precipitated this case I can go look at what I'm doing wrong here.
> > Thanks!

> I was wondering if anyone else on the lists have had the same
problems
> as I have been having with the Enterprise 1200 (3 scsi port) version.

I have a series 428 (Enterprise 1200) with two channels and 32MB RAM in
Tyan dual PPro 200MHz running 5.0-current. This is not a production
machine,
and the are no important data on the disks so I can experiment with it
as I like.

I've had all kinds of problems with it and the three Quantum Viking
disks I have.
It trurned out that i must disable SCSI command Queing on the disks in
the AMI BIOS
otherwise the controller stops working within a couple of minutes.
This error is more reproducible using RAID0 than RAID1 or 5.
I've also had big trouble with a SCA to Wide and narrow converter on one
of the
disks. My experience is that the NCR SCSI controllers (as on the AMI
cards) are
rather picky about bad SCSI cabling and termination, esp. when running
Ulra Wide.

> I'm really not using all that much disk throughput.
> I'll have that iostat log the next time it keels over.

I can make it fail regerdless of thruput, this is not the old controller
wedged bug.

I have just put i thru two make worlds (-j64) without any problems, two
disks RAID0
one on each channel. First time with default parameters, second time
with Write back,
adaptive read, cachedIO.

Tell me if you want me to do something special with it to test it. At
present I can
only run it with two disks as I only have two reliable hotswap cradles,
I have
access to three more disks but I must buy more cradles before I can use
them.

		/Martin