Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 12:15:43 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        "david e. banning" <tracker@worldy.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getting help following ports installation

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, david e. banning wrote:

> following my make and make install
> I would like to find out info like;
>
> 1.	Where is the executable stored - which one (if there are several) do
> 	I execute?
>
> 2.	Where are the configuration / help files and how do I access them.

For both, read hier(7) for a good understanding of your operating system's
directory structure.  If you still can't find an executable, try using
whereis or locate (if your locate database has been rebuilt recently).
Read the respective man pages for extra options.

Configuration/help files, in addition, usually come in the form of man
pages, for which you do not need to know the location, just the name (and
perhaps section) of the page.  For configuration files, one usually checks
/usr/local/etc first.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>	50% Owner, Sysadmin
  SaskNow Technologies     		http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   		Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2