Date:      Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:10:39 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@flat.berklix.net>
To:        James Cornell <penguin@unixdevil.org>
Cc:        ewwinter@bsn.com, freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sparc64/82262: Critical Sparc64 Bug Init Binkley Kernel 5.4 Ultra2 Sun4U 400 Ultra SCSI Jump

"James Cornell" wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR sparc64/82262; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: "James Cornell" <penguin@unixdevil.org>
> To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org,
>  penguin@unixdevil.org
> Subject: Re: sparc64/82262: Critical Sparc64 Bug Init Binkley Kernel 5.4
>      Ultra2 Sun4U 400 Ultra SCSI Jump
> Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 07:41:48 -0700 (PDT)
>
>  I had to manually type all of this.
>
>  >> FreeBSD/sparc64 boot block
>       Boot path: /sbus@1f,0/SUNW,fas@e,8800000/sd@6,0:f
>       Boot loader: /boot/loader
>  Console: Open Firmware console
>  Boot path set to /sbus@1f,0/SUNW,fas@e,8800000/sd@6,0:a
>
>  FreeBSD/sparc64 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.0
>  (root@binkley.cse.buffalo.edu, Sun May   8 07:16:15 UTC 2005)
>  bootpath="/sbus@1f,0/SUNW,fas@e,8800000/sd@6,0:a"
>  /boot/kernel/kernel  data=0x3d8908+0x47c78 syms=[0x8+0x50b80+0x8+0x452601
>  /
>  Hit [Enter] too boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
>  Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...
>  nothing to autoload yet.
>  jumping to kernel entry at 0xc004000.
>
>  Then it freezes.

I don't have our box to hand to compare with your numbers, but Yes
that sounds the same as we experienced, admittedly I didnt personally
write the cdrom, or md5 checksum it, (but I think it may have been,
as I'd urged it before).  Anyway we concluded 5.4 release cdrom was
not usable.  (Perhaps if we'd pursued arcane boot magic but not
easily usable anyway.)

>  I tried FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE (Sparc64) and it actually boots up.  The

Yup, we had success with that too.

>  problem is the keymaps for Type 6 and possibly other Sun keyboards is
>  messed up, and changing options at the console layout prompt have no
>  effect, the install program comes up in b&w and is unnavigatable.  The
>  screen corrupts the view of any menu accessed, which can only be done with
>  strange key combinations.  The partitioner sees the disk though, despite
>  not being able to read through the garble.

Yup saw that too.  I managed to install 5.3 though.

If you explore the sparc bios, somewhere there's an option to set
terminal type to ansi.  I didn't bother exploring what other nvram
options are, & what I could set TERM env var. & syscons & /etc/gettytype to.

re@ told me after, he
thinks the terminal problem is probably just fixed on current.  The
Sparc I was installing on was at an office I only visit sporadically,
but Ernst Winter is there regularly & plans to install a bunch more
Sparcs there, so I'm cc'ing him this.  (I dont know if he's subscribed
to freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org yet)

  The system is running OBP
>  3.11.
>

>  OBP Banner:
>
>  Sun Ultra 2 UPA/SBus (2x UltraSparc-II 400MHz), Keyboard Present
>  OpenBoot 3.11, 512MB memory installed, Serial #8435438.
>  Ethernet address 8:0:20:80:b6:ee, Host ID: 8080b6ee.
>
>  Additional Information:
>  Using a Creator3D Card
>  9.1GB Fujitsu Ultra2 SCSI
>
>  That's about it.

-
Julian Stacey        Net & Sys Eng Consultant, Munich       http://berklix.com
Mail in Ascii (Html=Spam).  Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.