Date:      Sat, 08 Feb 2003 21:09:04 +0900 (JST)
From:      shudo@computer.org
To:        jdp@polstra.com, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        john@utzweb.net, "brent@rcfile.org.freebsd-chat"@FreeBSD.ORG, rwatson@freesbsd.org, calvin.austin@sun.com, brian@collab.net, bod@freebsdfoundation.org, shudo@computer.org
Subject:   Re: patchset 2 report (billh's resignation)

Thanks John for you clarification of the situation,

Sorry if you have received the almost same letters multiple times.
This is the third time I post it because I could not see the previous
letters on the mail list because they have an attached part which is
not text/x-patch MIME type.

I noticed that the original purpose of the funding by FBSD Foundation
and the actual usage of the fund are inconsistent.

From: John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>

> Now I will go over the history of this particular hiring decision.
> As most of you know, the Foundation finalized a license agreement in
> December, 2001 with Sun Microsystems to allow us to distribute a
> FreeBSD version of the JDK and JRE.  As part of that agreement, Sun
> requires that the distribution pass the full suite of tests in their
> Technology Compliance Kit (TCK).  That sounds simple, but in fact it
> is a very difficult process and I am told that it typically takes a
> year or more to complete it.
>
> Now fast-forward about a year, to some time around the end of 2002.
> We at the Foundation were feeling a bit embarrassed.  We had
> announced the license agreement with great fanfare a year before,
> and it naturally raised expectations that a release of the software
> was imminent.  I can lay claim to some blame for that, as I myself
> thought that the software would be released very quickly.  I did not
> understand at that time what a challenge the TCK was.

Unfortunately, you could not have a chance to see my warning to the
FreeBSD-Java list soon after the announce:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=50852+0+archive/2001/freebsd-java/20011230.freebsd-java

The following is an extract from the attached mail:

| Subject: Re: Pre-compiled native JDK1.3.1
| To: java@FreeBSD.ORG
| Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 15:08:51 +0900

| > The plan is to do this for 4.5, but the JDK must first pass the JCK to
| > be legal under the licensing agreement.
|
| I'm doubtful whether any Java 2 SDK can pass the JCK
| (now called J2SE TCK?) until FreeBSD 4.5 is out.
|
| Even two years ago, the JCK contains about 2500 of VM
| tests and also 2500 of lang tests. Java 2 SDK forFreeBSD
| will take a certain period of time to pass the tests.

> So, some time in the final months of 2002 I asked the other Foundation
> board members if perhaps we could help move things along by funding
> somebody to work on getting the JDK and JRE to a point where it could
> be released.  They agreed that it would be a good use of Foundation
> funds, and so we started working on it.

The original purpose of the funding, which is boosting the TCK work,
is inconsistent with the following announce by Greg:

| From: Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
| To: freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
| Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 03:44:45 +1030
|
| Again, I would like to thank Alexey Zelkin who has single handedly been
| working on the 1.4 port.  I'd also like to thank the FreeBSD Foundation
| who have provided the funding to allow Alexey to continue his work.

This announce says that FBSD Foundation has provided the fund for the
porting work of JDK 1.4.1, which does not boost the TCK work at all.

Greg has been working hard on the TCK work throughout the year 2002.
He has been improved Classic VM of JDK 1.3.1 to get it passing the
TCK.  Alexey's current work is porting of HotSpot VM of JDK 1.4.X.
They are completely different activities.

Or, was the target of the TCK work changed into JDK 1.4.X?

As many of you know, 1.4.X for FreeBSD has just started working and
still immature and it will need much time to pass the TCK.  See the
case of 1.3.1.  FreeBSD's 1.4.X will take more time then 1.3.1.
Anyway, it's wasteful to abandon the work on 1.3.1.

> Both
> Greg and Nate agreed that Alexey would be a good person for the job.

I guess you mean the TCK work by `the job'.

  Kazuyuki Shudo	shudo@computer.org	http://www.shudo.net/