Date:      Thu, 05 Sep 2002 10:24:25 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
Cc:        Yoshihiko SARUMARU <mistral@imasy.or.jp>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, scottl@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sys/modules/aic7xxx/aicasm breaks buildworld with MODULES_WITH_WORLD=true

> Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 09:07:51 +0200
> From: Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Tue, 03-Sep-2002 at 11:56:42 +0900, Yoshihiko SARUMARU wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Today, I buildworld with RELENG_4 branch (4.7-PRERELEASE) as
> > usual, but it failed with sys/modules/aic7xxx/aicasm:
> >
> > (snip)
> > cd /usr/src/sys; make buildincludes; make installincludes
> > (snip)
> > ===> sys/modules/aic7xxx
> > ===> sys/modules/aic7xxx/aicasm
> > make: don't know how to make buildincludes. Stop
> > *** Error code 2
> >
> > Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules/aic7xxx.
> > *** Error code 1
> > (snip)
> >

> > I repeated buildworld with some situation and I found disabling
> > MODULES_WITH_WORLD=true in my /etc/make.conf lead buildworld and
> > buildkernel to be succeeded.
> >
> > But I see no one has trouble with this so far. Does
> > MODULES_WITH_WORLD is obsoleted or my /usr/src is something wrong?
>
> I have the same problem here. I hope it gets fixed since I like to use
> MODULES_WITH_WORLD=true.

I hit this problem which I think turned out to be a problem with a
Makefile.

If I remember correctly, you need to clean out your sources under
/usr/src/sys/modules/aic7xxx/aicasm and re-cvsup the sources to load the
correct Makefile. (Or pull the Makefile out of CVS.)

Also, make sure that /usr/src/MAkefile.inc1 contains the aicasm magic:
        cd ${KRNLOBJDIR}/${_kernel}; \
           MAKESRCPATH=${KRNLSRCDIR}/dev/aic7xxx/aicasm \
           ${MAKE} -DBOOTSTRAPPING -f ${KRNLSRCDIR}/dev/aic7xxx/aicasm/Makefile

I don't understand why this is happening, but I hit it on only one
system. I did not submit a PR because I assumed that I had screwed
something up!

Hope this helps as my memory is a bit fuzzy.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)