Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 13:20:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Antoine Beaupre <beaupran@IRO.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Noor Dawod <noor@comrax.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: cannot mount IDE disk under FreeBSD-4.1.1-STABLE

To me, that's an irregular disklabel layout. Please read
disklabel(8) manpage.

I have never dealt with any drive with a single 'c' partition like
yours. I think this is dangerous. I also think that your data may be
screwed up there, but I'm no expert.

If I'm wrong, your disk should mount fine (i.e. mount /dev/ad1c /whatever
should work). If I'm right, you may have to hack a bit further to restore
your drive. At any rate, make backups (if you can). Dump might be able to
extract the data from the raw disk (ad1c). Then you repartition with
/stand/sysinstall and restore the drive.

Another thing... Your 'disk:' field in disklabel output should be more
like:

disk: ad1

or something like that. 'amnesiac' is a good hint that something's
wrong. Also, you mentionned that fdisk output says that your FBSD slice is
the 4th on the disk. Maybe that you should try: disklabel ad1s4...

Just disgressing...

A.