Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 2009 19:07:57 -0300
From:      Ramiro Caso <misha_78@hotmail.com>
To:        <david+dated+1238356671.fa5de5@skytracker.ca>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: renaming many Chinese files

Just a very quick thought (the first that pops into my mind): you could
see which are the western characters that appear in the names=2C and then
use sed to substitute all non-matching characters with nothing=2C
something like:

for i in *.jpg=3B do b=3D"`echo $i | sed 's/[^CHAR_SET]//g'`"=3B mv $i $b=
=3B done

(without
forgetting=2C obviously=2C to add . to the CHAR_SET=2C something like:
[^a-zA-Z0-9.]=3B if you figure out a less clumsy way=2C please=2C share!!)
I'm guessing that the initial 'P123' is just an example=2C or this will
horribly backfire. But I'm really=2C REALLY=2C taking a shot in the dark
here... (if you already thought of this=2C and it just doesn't work=2C
sorry for the useless pitch)