Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 09:24:48 +0200
From:      Dang-Ngoc TUYET-TRAM <Dang-Ngoc.Tuyet-Tram@prism.uvsq.fr>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing sources from CD-ROM : no inode free

Doug White wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jun 1998, Dang-Ngoc TUYET-TRAM wrote:
>
> > ~~~~~
> > mkdir -p /usr/src/sys
> > ln -s /usr/src/sys /sys
> > cd /
> > cat /cdrom/src/ssys.* |tar xzvf -       #(path given in the book seems not
> > 					#to corrrespond)
> > ~~~~~
> > the files seems to extract in /usr/src/sys correctly, and then I get
> > succesion of errors like :
> > /usr : create /symlink failed, no inode free
> > tar: could not create file sys/sys/vlimit.h : no such file or directory
> > sys/sys/vnioctl.h
>
> `no inode free' means that the filesystem has run out of index nodes,
> which hold information about files.  This is very, very odd for a new
> system.  If this isn't an upgrade and you can spare it, try reinstalling,
> but blow away the old filesystem.
>
> If this is an upgrade, are you running news on this system?  DO you have
> lots of small files?

Hello Doug,

It's a first installation of FreeBSD (2.2.6) on this machine. I had
a clean hard disk partition before installing FreeBSD. I've just installed
from walnut CD-ROM using "novice install"
I have 250Mb on this partition (first partition is on Win95).
(I've enabled LBA under BIOS  because in user mode I get at boot time :
Error C:1056 > 1023 (Bios Limit)

I had installed FreeBSD on other computers and I never had such problem.
So what could it be ?

Thanks,

Tuyet Tram DANG NGOC
--
Universite de Versailles
dntt@prism.uvsq.fr

Don't document the program; program the document.