Date:      Sun, 19 Feb 2012 12:26:46 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org>
Subject:   Re: One or Four?

Hi,

On Sunday 19 February 2012 11:40:22 Carl Johnson wrote:
> Erich Dollansky <erich@alogreentechnologies.com> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sunday 19 February 2012 04:34:17 Jerry McAllister wrote:
> >> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 12:07:30PM +0100, Damien Fleuriot wrote:
> >>

> >> So, Polytropon's three choice pattern is good.   Or, I could even
> >> suggest just two choices.
> >>
> > yes, three options is ok.
> >
> >>      [ ] all in one + swap
> >>            Create one partition containing all subtrees
> >>            plus one swap partition.
> >>
> >>      [ ] user-defined
> >>            Make your own partitioning selection manually.
> >>            (Both number and size of partitions)
> >>            with a reasonable way to specify partitions and sizes.
> >>            The old Sysinstall way is not bad, but if it obsolete,
> >>            then something as easy that fits the new GPT based system.
> >>
> > A normal user will use the first option here and get screwed when the
> > file system got affected by a power failure. The second option is not
> > an option for a general user.
>
> What will happen in the case of a power failure?  I just see an fsck
> when that happens, and I have been running unix and linux for about 20
> years.  I have always had multiple partitions in the past, but for 9.0 I
> went with the single partition.

it will not even boot if there is only a single slice with root and the rest on it if the background fsck cannot be run.

I have to go to real remote locations once in a while where an USP is not of real help anymore as the USP is not able to charge its battery before the next power failure comes. It happened there some times that the /usr slice needs a foreground check. Of course, all can be fixed.

I cannot imagine that this would still work if / is on the same slice as the rest of the data.

Of course, these are rare things but with the other standards of FreeBSD in mind, I would keep at least the visible option there so people are obviously made aware that there is something to consider.

What will beginners do when they are not able to restart their machine?

Take a pirated Windows CD and go back to the other trouble maker as there was no difference for them.

Of course, people like you and me would need this option only to safe a bit of time.

Erich