Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 08:40:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        j@lumiere.net
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG

> Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 20:29:47 -0800 (PST)
> From: Jesse <j@lumiere.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
>

> Hi,
>
> The company I work for is going to be hosting some moderately large
> mailing lists soon. Right now we're just using majordomo with sendmail on
> one of our boxes, but I'm going to be putting together a machine
> running FreeBSD-STABLE (3.0) just to handle the mailing lists. The new
> list we're looking at adding has around 20,000 subscribers (one way, about
> message a day). So, a few questions:

  20k is somewhat larger than FreeBSD-announce but not overly so.
  FreeBSD-announce has 16k subscribers

> a) Does anyone have any recommendations on the type of hardware necessary?
> I don't expect that much CPU power is needed (we'll be using a PII of some
> sort), but I figure lots of RAM, 128M or 256M is a good idea for lots of
> sendmail daemons doing simultaneous deliveries. Anything else I need to
> really worry about?

  hub is a Pentium II 400MHz with 256MB.

> b) Are there any specific kernel settings that would help, beside sraising
> the maxusers a bunch? It doesn't seem like anything /too/ stressful should
> be going on. A significant number of simultaneous processes and tcp
> connections, but nothing massive.

  up maxusers to 256 or so.

> c) Any tips for speeding up majordomo mailing list deliveries with
> sendmail? I've heard bulk_mailer could be very helpful, as it would help
> with allowing lots of simultaneous deliveries to different sites while not
> having multiple connections to the same remote site. Does anyone have any
> experience using bulkmail with majordomo?

  bulk_mailer will split the message into a number of messages each
  with a number of recipients.  that way they can be delivered in
  parallel rather then having sendmail process one message with all
  20k recipients listed and processed in series.

  alternatively, you could use postfix for delivery only.  try
  limiting postfix to 200 or so concurrent delivery (smtp) processes.

jmb