Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 1995 16:19:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        ec0@s1.GANet.NET (Eric Chet)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: low-level format

> Hello
>
>      I have a 2Gig IBM Ultrastar drive that was used in a AS/400.  I want
> to use this drive in my FreeBSD machine.  I believe AS/400 uses 520 byte
> sectors.  How do I low-level format this drive under FreeBSD for 512 byte
> sectors?  Would it be possible to use the scsi command?

I think this will work:

1. Use the mode page editor to change the data bytes per physical
sector to 512: "scsi -f /dev/rsd?.ctl -m 3 -e".  At any rate,
you'll see what the AS/400 has it set to.

2. Use the "scsiformat" script in -current to format the drive.

--

Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936