Date:      Fri, 03 Dec 1999 15:39:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      will andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        "R. Imura" <imura@cs.titech.ac.jp>
Cc:        mlobo@nlink.com.br, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Problem on making kdevelop 1.0beta4.1

On 02-Dec-99 R. Imura wrote:
>> Why do it this way? We'll have to add this in for ALL the ports that are
>> based
>> on kde/qt USE_NEWGCC! And then when somebody _FINALLY_ decides to add it to
>> those ports..
>
> I agree with your idea.
> But there are about 50 ports having USE_QT=yes (32 ports at FreeBSD-2.2.8)
> and you have to change all of the ports at the same time.
> In addition, many people will complain to us while a few weeks after the
> change for the incompatibility, and we have to say "Please update all
> of your qt ports" every time.
> I only worry about it.

As I've said before, it's just another hurdle.. just like 2.2.x -> 3.x was (and
that one was a much bigger hassle than this one will be, for most people
anyway).

Besides, people who don't want/need cutting edge kdelibs can just use the
package system until the whole thing boils over.

>> You could send me yours so I can fix my "normal kde" version. :-)
>>
>> Or is it available on that URL you posted?
>
> Is it ok? (japanese mail + uuencode)
>
> http://home.jp.FreeBSD.org/cgi-bin/showmail/ports-jp/8285

uuencode is no problem, but I am not Japanese-lingual, only Latin (7+ years of
study), C/C++, Pascal, English, (z,ba)sh, and others. :-)

However, I looked up the mailing list archives for this ML, and found that
kde.gr.jp URL and downloaded your tarball.. thanks. :-)

Hopefully this'll help me smoothen out the kdevelop port I have.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>