Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:41:19 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@accms33.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        Marco Molteni <molter@tin.it>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wireless lans with multiple accesspoints

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 02:42:09AM +0200, Marco Molteni wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 00:36:39 +0100, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org> wrote:
>
> > The access points will negotiate with eachother and choose the one with
> > the strongest signal.
>
> I think this is incorrect. The APs don't negotiate anything among them.
>
> See below
>
> > On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 11:19:53 +0200, Christoph Kukulies <kuku@accms33.physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> > > Assume you have a LAN with several access-points attached.
> > > The reachability areas of these access-points are overlapping.
> > >
> > > There is a DHCP server in the network that supplies IP adresses for the
> > > access-points and the clients, e.g. notebooks with wireless pc cards.
> > >
> > > What happens when you are in the area that is covered by two access-points?
> > >
> > > I mean, which access-point takes over the 'routing'?
>
> I am not sure of what you mean by 'routing', since an AP is a layer 2

I chose the wrong term. Routing not in the sense of what we understand as
a router. I just meant 'passing through' the packets. It's a bridge,
of course (kind of).

In this vein the term 'collision domain' came up. In how far does
a 100 Mb network consisting of several (3COM 3000) switches which are
cascaded (using TP cables, not a matrix cable) still form a collision
domain? Does it really?

> device and routing is layer 3. If I understand correctly your question,
> you want to know with which AP the client will associate.

Yes, see above.

> It depends on the configuration of the APs and the client. If the APs
> have different SSIDs, and the client is set to the zero-lenght SSID
> (incorrectly referred to as the "ANY" SSID), then it will associate with
> the AP with strongest signal. If the client is set to a particular SSID,
> then it will associate with the AP that owns that SSID, no matter signal
> strenght (obviously assuming the signal is not too low).
>
> marco

Thanks.

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kukulies@rwth-aachen.de