Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 20:42:23 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        rnordier@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dedicated disks (was: Dangerously Dedicated)

> Let me state this one more time loudly for those calling themselves boot
> code experts.  THE PARTITION TABLE IN THE MBR IS NOT DEALT WITH BY THE BIOS,
> BIOSES THAT TRY TO MAKE HEADS OR TALES OF PARTITION TABLES ARE TECHNICALLY
> BROKEN AND VIOLATE IBM AT COMPATIBILITY.  If you doubt this go read about
> BIOS service 19H, IPL load.

It doesn't matter how loudly you shout, or what exactly you stuff in your
ears.  The fact is that this code exists, is part of the de-facto
platform standard, and has to be dealt with as such.

You are welcome to continue to dual-boot FreeBSD and PC-DOS 2.0.  In the
meantime, the rest of us are living in the real world, and dealing with
real-world problems.  Please let us get on with what has to be done.
Thankyou.