Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2017 09:36:25 +0000
From:      Dexuan Cui <decui@microsoft.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, Sepherosa Ziehau <sepherosa@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Jung-uk Kim <jkim@freebsd.org>, Yanmin Qiao <yaqia@microsoft.com>
Subject:   RE: Add support for ACPI Module Device ACPI0004?

This
> ranges in

> ACPI0004

> > > Hmmm, so looking at this, the "right" thing is probably to have a dev=
ice
> > > driver for the ACPI0004 device that parses its _CRS and then allows i=
ts
> > > child devices to sub-allocate resources from the ranges in _CRS.  How=
ever,
> > > this would mean make VMBus be a child of the ACPI0004 device.
> Suppose
> > > we called the ACPI0004 driver 'acpi_module' then the 'acpi_module0'
> device
> > > would need to create a child device for all of its child devices.  Ri=
ght
> > > now acpi0 also creates devices for them which is somewhat messy (acpi=
0
> > > creates child devices anywhere in its namespace that have a valid _HI=
D).
> > > You can find those duplicates and remove them during acpi_module0's
> attach
> > > routine before creating its own child device_t devices.  (We associat=
> > > a device_t with each Handle when creating device_t's for ACPI handles
> > > which is how you can find the old device that is a direct child of ac=
pi0
> > > so that it can be removed).
> >
> > The remove/reassociate vmbus part seems kinda "messy" to me.  I'd just
> > hook up a new acpi0004 driver, and let vmbus parse the _CRS like what
> > we did to the hyper-v's pcib0.
>=20
> The acpi_pci driver used to do the remove/reassociate part.  What acpi0
> should probably be doing is only creating device_t nodes for immediate
> children.  This would require an ACPI-aware isa0 for LPC devices below
> the ISA bus in the ACPI namespace.  We haven't done that in part because
> BIOS vendors are not always consistent in placing LPC devices under an
> ISA bus.  However, you otherwise have no good way to find your parent
> ACPI0004 device.  You could perhaps find your ACPI handle, ask for its
> parent handle, then ask for the device_t of that handle to find the
> ACPI0004 device, but then you'd need to have all your bus_alloc_resource
> calls go to that device, not your "real" parent of acpi0, which means
> you can't use any of the standard bus_alloc_resource() methods like
> bus_alloc_resource_any() but would have to manually use
> BUS_ALLOC_RESOURCE
> with the ACPI0004 device as the explicit first argument.  It is primarily
> the ability to let ACPI0004's driver transparently intercept all the
> resource allocation so it can manage that is the reason for "VMBus"
> to be a child of ACPI0004 rather than its sibling.
>=20
> --
> John Baldwin

Hi John,
Thank you for the detailed analysis, but IMHO this seems too complex? :-)

Can we just add a small driver for ACPI0004 like this:
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D10531

This way, we only need to make a small change in VMBus driver reusing
the current code:
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D10532

Looking forward to your comment!

Thanks,