Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 1998 00:50:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   BIND Problems

I am using my PC at work as a testbed, or more of a practice client
for using NIS more over our networks. Right now, I have four SGIs
working smoothly with one NIS master and the other three as clients
(the master is also a client to itself). I want to operate my FreeBSD
on my PC off of this same IRIX box.

I have set up my FreeBSD machine to be a NIS client. I added the
apropriate '+' lines to aliases, passwd, and group. I run ypbind at
startup (with '-S' since I think there are some troubles that might
help that I mentione below). I made sure domainname is correct.

However, it doesn't work. My suspicion is that it is not talking to
the master. The SGI's are all on the same hub, so broadcasts always
find their way betwee them. My PC has a gw PC in between (due to
limitations in our buidling's thin net wiring) it and the NIS master.
I'm not sure how to get them to find each other past it. I think the
'-S' option on 'ypbind' should fix that from the client end, but it
doesn't work.

Now, there haven't been any FreeBSD specific questions yet (not that
I wouldn't consider the above fair game for this maillist), but the
way ypbind fails make me wonder if something else is not right. First,
ypbind likes to spawn another ypbind process. When I try to log in or
su, any time /etc/passwd is accessed, the command hangs for minutes,
then it does come back and completes (with no errror messages I can
find) successfully. Also, NFS connections act even more strange than
usual. The NFS mount to the NIS master I'm having trouble with seems
fine, but the NFS mount of another FreeBSD box hangs up for minutes. I
can't tell id that's an independent problem or another symptom of the
ypbind heartache. And all of these troubles seem to stop when I
'killall yp.'

Anyone have suggestions or pointers? I've been over the various NIS
manpages on FreeBSD and IRIX a few times, but they get to be circular
to the beginner. I have a copy of what I believe is the bible on these
systems, the O'Rielly NFS and NIS book. The parts I've tried to use as
cookbook instructions are deceptively easy. Pointers to specific parts
that may be of interest would be much appreciated too.