Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 15:30:00 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>, Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: 3.x -> 4.0-STABLE upgrade instructions

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 08:52:36PM -0500, Brandon Fosdick wrote:
> How to go about switching over from wd to ad needs to be explained a little
> better. After doing the MAKEDEV routine I went and changed all the wd's in my
> fstab to ad's. Boy was that a mistake. Now I have to find somthing I can boot
> with that will let me mount the root partition read/write so that I can change
> fstab back. On top of that my cdrom suddenly decided to non-bootable. Maybe I'm
> just having a bad day...

I've got no idea how easy it would be to do, but we could use a variable
that we could set in the bootloader to specify where the /etc and /dev
directories actually are.  It'd be nice to upgrade by creating a
/etc.current and a /dev.current.  The kernel could then be told to use
these directories instead.

If, for some reason, your upgrade doesn't work, you can back out to a
previous kernel, even if the new /etc and /dev aren't compatible with the
old kernel. . .