Date:      Mon, 14 Mar 2005 02:05:05 +0000
From:      "Edwin D. Vinas" <xmisoy@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sharing a DSL connection using FreeBSD-5.3

hello every one!

i have a freebsd machine which i want to use to share my DSL
connection to a LAN. basically, i have tested my FreeBSD-4.10 to
connect to my DSL provider which gave me a static IP address. using a
setup with one LAN card and correctly setup IP address & settings, I
was able to access the Internet painlessly. now, i bought a new LAN
card which I will connect to my LAN switch. the old LAN card will be
my interface to the WAN (DSL provider). i haven't done anything to
share the Internet coz I want to have an idea from you on what are the
next steps in confguring my FreeBSD to share Internet. i will first
upgrade my OS to FreeBSD-5.3 which is the latest stable version of
FreeBSD.

here's my ifconfig which shows that my newly installed card is
recognized together with my working LAN card which is currently
connected to my DSL internet provider.

%ifconfig
rl0: flags=3D8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ether 00:11:95:26:4e:58
        media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT/UTP)
        status: no carrier
dc0: flags=3D8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 210.125.155.126 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 210.125.155.255
        inet6 fe80::280:adff:fe00:572c%dc0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
        ether 00:80:ad:00:57:2c
        status: active
lp0: flags=3D8810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
lo0: flags=3D8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
ppp0: flags=3D8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
sl0: flags=3Dc010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 552

according to some FreeBSD documentations, i need to configure my
machine as a gateway and use NAT. others also say about using a
firewall. im concerned on the ease of maintaining the FreeBSD as a DSL
router. im also concerned on filtered ports or port forwarding which
may block certain ports such as Yahoo messenger and online games. if i
use FreeBSD+NAT+firewall, would Windows clients that runs on specific
ports (i.e. YM and online games) still be able to work? before, i used
WinRoute and WinGate but there are instances when I can't get to work
certain applications due to the limitations of the gateway.

does anyone here can show me the steps I need to follow to be able to
setup a FreeBSD-based DSL internet sharing server which is easy to
maintain, fast and secured?

thank you very much!
-edwin

P.S.