Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 1995 07:27:10 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brad Midgley <junkmail@pht.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.0.5-950622-SNAP on a big machine

(sorry if you see this twice, but I think it was rejected since I wasn't
yet on the list.)

Hi all,

I just upgraded from a 2.0 snap to this version on our ftp/www site.  I
was mainly upgrading for stability and so we could have a perl that wouldn't
fail its self-tests.

machine: pci p60 w/96mb ram, 5 4gig drives (quantum, seagate) and 2 2gig
drives (all scsi), buslogic scsi, 3com ethernet. kernel configs:  users=128,
options "NMBCLUSTERS=2048", disabled a lot of things, including
bounce-buffers, ide, cdrom, iso9660.

some problems now:

 after only about 12 hours of uptime, the system virtually locked up with
messages about bt0: buffer full (the system was still pingable, great).
None of the errors were logged (I should have expected that) so I don't
have them verbatim.  After another 12 hours it spontaneously rebooted.
(nothing in the log but I wasn't even watching the machine)

 The machine refuses to NFS mount linux-exported drives, claiming the
directory is a stale nfs handle.  I believe we upgraded the linux nfs
server about 3 months ago to whatever was current.

 it appears that freebsd only sees 64 of the 96 mb ram on the machine.  the
bios self-tests on boot see it all.  How do I monitor ram/swap usage on a
running system?

 the machine had an smc card which wasn't recognized by the new system.
to be more accurate, I prepped the boot drive on a machine with a 3com
and then changed /etc/sysconfig's

 network_interfaces="ep0 lo0"
 network_interfaces="ed0 lo0"

that didn't work in the server itself with the smc, so I swapped the cards
themselves around and switched it back.  3com support looks much better btw.

Sorry if these are things which have come up--I had to drop this list
because my mailbox was buried with new mail all the time.  Please cc
replies to me, because I may miss them (just resubscribed to the _digest_
version, yay)

Is it worthwhile to upgrade to the latest snap, get stock 2.0.5, replace
some of my hardware, etc.?

Brad