Date:      Thu, 06 Jun 1996 22:42:19 +0000
From:      Carlos Amengual <amengual@sadeya.cesca.es>
To:        Alex Nash <alex@fa.tdktca.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, mitayai@dreaming.org
Subject:   Re: DES vs MD5

Alex Nash wrote:

> I'm using Apache 1.0.5 (straight from ftp.apache.org) with MD5 encryption
> and it works fine.  You should not need DES at all.

Great

> What does your htpwd file look like?  You should have entries like:
>
>     foobar:$1$Dh$nlJJz4Oh7YyDBgBL1n8Z80

It does. And it is readable, and at its place, etc.

> I'd also check your HTTP log files (particularly the error log), it may not
> be looking in the right place for the password file (possible configuration
> error in access.conf).

>From my error_log file:
[Thu Jun  6 22:24:49 1996] access to /privado/ failed for blanco.sadeya.cesca.es
, reason: user amengual: password mismatch
[Thu Jun  6 22:25:00 1996] access to /privado/ failed for blanco.sadeya.cesca.es
, reason: user amengual: password mismatch

The same is the case for other usernames. I even tried to copy the master.passwd
file and use it as the WWW password file, but it also failed.

Knowing that you use Apache 1.05 with MD5 I will investigate this further, but
any suggestion would be useful.

Many thanks.

Carlos

Carlos Amengual - Sociedad Astronómica de España y América
Avenida Diagonal, 377, 2  -  08008 Barcelona  -  Spain
amengual@sadeya.cesca.es  -  http://www.sadeya.cesca.es/