Date:      Fri, 6 Jul 2001 15:59:10 +0200
From:      "Niels Chr. Bank-Pedersen" <ncbp@bank-pedersen.dk>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfilter+ipv6 - what am I missing?

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 09:33:27PM +0200, Gerhard Sittig wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 10:54 -0700, matt wrote:
> >
> > I don't think ipf is complete in its ipv6 support yet.You can
> > use ipfw instead.
>
> Ipf has been supporting IPv6 for quite some time.  It's just that
> one has to enable this support in the Makefile.
>
> $ grep INET6 contrib/ipfilter/Makefile
> #INET6=-DUSE_INET6
> MFLAGS1='CFLAGS=$(CFLAGS) $(ARCHINC) $(SOLARIS2) $(INET6)' \
>   [ ... ]

Thanks for the pointer - hadn't seen that (makes me wonder if we
need a general ipv6 switch in /etc/defaults/make.conf?).
Unfortunately I still can't convince ifilter to notice/block
ipv6 packets :-(

> And ISTR that one has to add "-6" to the ipf(8) invocation
> options (like, in /etc/rc.conf).

Yup, went there, did that - the following is taken from an
ipv6 telnet session going throug the firewall (after make
world with INET6=-DUSE_INET6):

bm# ipfstat -6io
block out quick on xl0 from any to any
block out quick on vx0 from any to any
block in quick on xl0 from any to any
block in quick on vx0 from any to any
bm# ipfstat -6
 IPv6 packets:          in 0 out 0
[..]

/Niels Chr.

--
 Niels Christian Bank-Pedersen, NCB1-RIPE.
 Network Manager, TDC, IP-section.

 "Hey, are any of you guys out there actually *using* RFC 2549?"