Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2006 13:50:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      George Fazio <gfazio@n3gqf.us>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Testing firewire

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006, David Kelly wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2006, at 5:03 PM, Erik Norgaard wrote:
>
>> So I thought: Is this like ethernet that I need a crossed cable or can I
>> connect the two with an ordinary cable and check that it works?
>
> There is no master nor slave in Firewire, all are peers, and all have
> (essentially) the same socket. If the cable fits, it works. Witness the
> difference between a hardware standard driven by Apple (Firewire) and one
> from Intel/Microsoft (USB).
>
> Apple computers can be booted in "target mode" where the machine becomes
> nothing more than a Firewire hard drive. Only works for the primary drive,
> but works well. Apple recommends this mode (and Migration Assistant) for
> cloning user data and applications from one Mac to another.
>
> You might also try fwe(4) if your other OS's are capable of doing IP over
> firewire.

fwe(4) emulates an ethernet interface and is a non-standard method of
making Firewire become a network interface. If would work with other
BSDs? or Mac OS/X? possibly.

fwip(4) is what Windows and a lot of other operating systems use to
accomplish this feat. Last I check, it was no in the generic kernel and
had to be compiled in, specified in the loader.conf(5), or loaded with
kldload(8).

#device         fwe             # Ethernet over FireWire (non-standard!)
#device         fwip            # IP over FireWire

I had the fwip driver working with a Windows XP box for a little while. It
worked fairly well, but I don't think it was really any faster than
ethernet (at least for what I was doign with it).

Hope this helps.

George Fazio N3GQF
mailto:gfazio@n3gqf.us