Date:      Fri, 22 May 2015 19:50:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is the forum down?

On Fri, 22 May 2015, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> On 05/22/15 15:24, J2R2 P wrote:
>> Alternatively, could you please point me to a resource that clearly
>> explains how to allow the user to switch to a regular xterm console
>> after starting xfce4 using startx; and how to return to the normal xterm
>> after login out or exiting the xfce4 session. I seem to just get the
>> monitor turned off no matter all the changes I have made to many config
>> files during the last few days.
>
> Uh... 'xterm' is an X client program that needs to have an X server to
> connect to -- ie. you have to startx before you can run xterm.  Show us
> your /var/log/Xorg.0.log and we can tell you if that's what is biting you.
>
> Do you mean returning to the system console after running X?  That
> depends on your graphics hardware IIRC.  For certain Intel chipsets,
> once you've switched to X windows, you can't get back to the system
> console without rebooting.  If you really need to run X on such a setup,
> I'd recommend setting up slim (x11/slim) or a similar display manager
> and always working in the X environment.  Or else avoid X completely.

I had this problem (blank screen when exiting X) while I was setting up
a new machine two months ago. The solution turned out to be to add
   kern.vty=vt
...to /boot/loader.conf, as described in the link Polytropon posted.

This is on 10.1-RELEASE amd64. My graphics chipset is an Intel Q45
running on a Core2 Duo CPU.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging </> ]