Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2005 06:26:48 -0500
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
Subject:   Re: Geom RAID root report.

>>>>> "Doug" == Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com> writes:

Doug> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, David Gilbert wrote:
>> Gmirror on the fix-it CD appears to be impotent.  It appears to
>> have only 'help', 'list', 'load' and 'unload' as commands.  Not
>> useful.

Doug> If you manually load the geom_mirror.ko kernel module it
Doug> probably gets useful. Someone pointed out that there's a
Doug> hardwired path in there somewhere so "load" will fail, but if
Doug> you load the module manually then the commands become available.
Doug> I'll have to test it.

I did that.  This is not the case.  If you run "gmirror help" when
gmirror is not loaded, it does not load the module and it prints out a
helpful list of things.  If you do this on the fixit CD, it prints out
a list of four commands: help, list, load and unload.

Additionally, I loaded the kernel module manually from
/dist/boot/kernel/geom_mirror.ko and this did not change the behaviour
of the command.

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Independent Contractor.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dave@daveg.ca                    |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |