Date:      Mon, 7 Sep 2009 11:53:27 GMT
From:      pjd@FreeBSD.org
To:        weldon@excelsusphoto.com, pjd@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org, pjd@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/138244: [zfs] dd(1) attempts bitwise transfer onto ZFS pool

Synopsis: [zfs] dd(1) attempts bitwise transfer onto ZFS pool

State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: pjd
State-Changed-When: pon 7 wrz 2009 11:46:04 UTC
State-Changed-Why:
I'm sorry, but I don't really understand what you described.

What do you mean by 'bitwise transfer'? Writing to raw block device
like /dev/da0?

What do you mean by zvolume? I think you mean raw device used as pool
component, but in ZFS terminology zvolume (ZVOL) is something different.

What do you mean by 'bit level copying onto a zpool'? zpool is not a block
device. Do you mean copying to /pool/ directory or block device which is
pool component?

Could you show example commands you were trying to use, your pool
configuration, etc.?

If you ment to do something like 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0' where da0
is pool component (a vdev in ZFS terminology) then it should be denied by
GEOM, as da0 should be already opened for writing by ZFS and dd(1) shouldn't
be able to open it for writing at all.

Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-fs->pjd
Responsible-Changed-By: pjd
Responsible-Changed-When: pon 7 wrz 2009 11:46:04 UTC
Responsible-Changed-Why:
I'll take this one.