Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 22:11:56 -0500
From:      thrdina@ibm.net
To:        "Nesi Unanaowo" <nesi_unanaowo@net.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ISP connect problem

>Thanks Thomas for the quick response. Actually I do have my
>password set to authkey. What is confusing me is the entry
>in the /etc/ppp/ppp.secret file. It sort of reminded me of the
>/etc/ppp/chap-secret
>file which required an entry in the form of : userid * "password" *
>My question is: how do I get the entry for the
>"yoursecretkeyatpppprompt" ?
>which is an entry required in the /etc/ppp/.ppp.secret file. This seems
>to be the source
>of my problem. Any idea?
>Thanks
>Nesi

i'm not sure if chap actually needs this.

try the following:

1. set all your paremeters under the "default:" section in the ppp.conf file
2. start ppp
3. at the ppp prompt type dial (at this time you should at least hear the
modem dialling)

if you have Xwindows installed, open a second xterm and type tail -f
/var/log/ppp.log. this will display all the log entries as they are being
written to the log file.

let me know how you make out....

th