Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:28:38 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "Richard P. Williamson" <richard.williamson@u4eatech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I need help mounting a floppy

--9jxsPFA5p3P2qPhR

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 11:56:59AM +0000, Richard P. Williamson wrote:
> At 11:41 22/03/2004, Willy Dingledorf wrote:
> >The problem began when a newbie (me) downloaded and installed FreeBSD ve=
rsion 5.2, and then was unable to mount a floppy disk.
> >=20
> >************************************
> >Richard Williamson wrote:
> >
> >Can you give us the Output of
> >
> >$ls /dev/fd0
> >
> >--------------------------
> >Yes ... here it is:
> >
> >ls: /dev/fd0: No such file or directory
>=20
>=20
> cd /dev
> sh MAKEDEV fd0
>=20
> because it looks like the fd0 floppy device doesn't exist.  Maybe when
> you installed the downrev'd version, it created the /dev/fd0 when it
> didn't find it.  If you look in the booting system, is /dev/fd0 there
> now?

Unfortunately that won't help the OP at all: he has the floppy working
correctly under 4.9, but his aim was to be able to use the floppy
drive under 5.2.1, and your instructions won't work because:

    * MAKEDEV is gone from 5.x, which now uses devfs stuff instead to
    dynamically create all the device nodes corresponding to the
    available hardware.

    * fdc0 wasn't being probed successfully on the OP's machine under
    5.x, so the kernel has no way to access the floppy drive.
    Unfortunately that is a bug in the system, for which there appears
    to be no satisfactory fix yet available.  See

        http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Di386/56257

A work-around is to disable ACPI (as described in that PR), which will
prevent you automatically controlling the power on your system and
various other similar things, but should let you access the floppy
drive.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20