Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 7:21:04 -0500
From:      Dan Welch <WELCHDW@truth.wofford.edu>
To:        WELCHDW@truth.wofford.edu
Cc:        QUESTIONS@FreeBSD.ORG, WELCHDW@truth.wofford.edu
Subject:   RE: modem auto answer periods

> What's the best way to turn auto-answer on and off automatically at
> specified times?  It's clear that cron does this job; what I seek is
> an appropriate way to handle the modem.  I tried having cron just
> echo the command sequences (e.g. ats0=0) to the modem, but that does
> not work well for some modems: after a few cycles of this they get
> out of sync with the system and require manual intervention even
> though I am using hardware handshaking.

I received 3 good suggestions:

[] Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk> suggested that I use "chat" instead
of "echo" to communicate with the modem.  Since this will send commands
to the modem only as the modem indicates readiness for them, I think I
see in this suggestion why I had the trouble with "echo".

[] Lists <lists@mrvid.demon.co.uk> suggested using scripts to change the
modem line's entry in /etc/ttys from "on" to "off", then force getty to
restart with these values from the new file.  This is an effective technique
that has other applications, too.

[] efinley@castlenet.com (Elliot Finley) suggested that I use mgetty.
Wondering why, I followed up by reading the info files that accompany mgetty
1.0.0 and found that mgetty will refuse to answer the incoming call if a
certain file name exists in a certain directory.  It appears (to me) that
mgetty never places the modem into auto answer mode, prefering to watch for
ring signals directly I suppose, so refusing to answer is adequate.  In this
method I have only to create and destroy a dummy file to disable and enable
dial-in service under mgetty. Very clean.

My thanks to all three of you!