Date:      Sat, 6 Aug 2016 13:16:13 -0700
From:      Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
To:        FreeBSD - <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Any way to cache large /etc/hosts files?

On 08/05/2016 11:45, Charles Swiger wrote:

> Take a look into DNS RPZ, aka DNS blacklisting (the common use case):
>
> https://dnsrpz.info
>
> Recent versions of ISC BIND support this....

Charles,

Thanks for the DNS RPZ reference, it should work.

However, a simpler solution along the lines of nsswitch.conf/nscd could
also be of value. It is be possible to create a program that would load
the list of "bad" domains directly into nscd. However, it looks like
/var/run/nscd socket is only accessible through the private functions in
libc. I couldn't find any python binding for example. Maybe it makes
sense to create such binding.

Yuri