Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2012 10:43:40 -0500
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD ?
References:  <CAOgwaMvsv3e1TxDauV038Pp7LRiYeH7oAODE%2Bw-pxHt9oGrXMA@mail.gmail.com> <20120604110339.GA9426@equilibrium.bsdes.net> <CAOjkAUe0_U==vjQGO77sQy=4JJ_e_ypoGpVbf1Mg62ttXATJYw@mail.gmail.com> <4FD2D4CC.3080109@ateamsystems.com> <4FD3003C.4080109@zedat.fu-berlin.de> <4FD352FF.9090101@ateamsystems.com> <4FD357F2.9090901@zedat.fu-berlin.de> <4FD35905.9080500@ateamsystems.com> <20120610121210.3ce1bd9d@zelda.sugioarto.com> <CADLo838gS7L=Sy9Giow1gYMtM2n4NnoHJWm8p3ZCvi6CZbMWhg@mail.gmail.com> <20120610165455.1c59e8ae@zelda.sugioarto.com>

On 06/10/12 09:54, Martin Sugioarto wrote:
> Am Sun, 10 Jun 2012 11:37:09 +0100
> schrieb Chris Rees<crees@FreeBSD.org>:
>
>> Er... people always test their commits.  Sometimes edge cases will
>> creep in, such as the libreoffice failure which was due to different
>> configurations, but to suggest that the commit wasn't tested is quite
>> frankly insulting-- it built on a clean system perfectly well.
> Hi,
>
> I don't mean to insult anyone. As I have already told, I am really
> thankful that people invest their precious time into updating the ports
> collection.
>
> Whatever "clean system" means. It is surely not the default case that
> someone has got a freshly installed set of ports.
>
> Among all the default problems with ports, libreoffice[1] adds to the
> group of annoyances[2] at the moment. I don't know when I have seen
> "portmaster -ad" run through successfully last time. I need more and
> more "-x" options to exclude ports which fail to build.
>
> [1] german/libreoffice and libreoffice fails all the time in
> (LOCALIZED_LANG is set to "de"):
>
> Module 'lingucomponent' delivered successfully. 12 files copied, 2
> files unchanged

>          Oh dear - something failed during the build - sorry !
>    For more help with debugging build errors, please see the section in:
>              http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development
>
>    internal build errors:
>
> ERROR: error 65280 occurred while
> making /usr/workdir-ports/usr/ports/editors/libreoffice/work/libreoffice-core-3.5.2.2/vcl/prj
>
>   it seems that the error is inside 'vcl', please re-run build
>   inside this module to isolate the error and/or test your fix:
>

> Whatever this tries to tell me. I don't get it. This is a completely
> useless error message for me.
>
> [2] The default annoyances are for example:
>
> - After updating perl, php or whatever, it makes sense to enforce
>    updating the modules that belong to these ports. I've seen 100x the
>    same message that p5-XML-Parser does not work and know what it means,
>    but this should be resolved by the port system. I mean, when you
>    update perl, the perl modules won't work anymore. This is totally
>    clear and it makes sense to update them first before going on.
>
> - When specifying WITHOUT_X11 the ports should respect this and not try
>    to pull in the X11 variants of ports. I regularly see some ports
>    pulling ImageMagick instead of the already installed
>    ImageMagick-nox11. I still do not fully understand what is going on
>    with WITHOUT_GNOME, but I'll try to figure it out later. But I am
>    quite sure that some ports pull in unneeded Gnome dependencies.
>
> - Ports are being marked as interactive and stop the update process. The
>    idea behind portmaster was (earlier) to avoid interactive building of
>    ports and ask all the needed questions, before the builds start. I
>    mean, earlier, I could get out and enjoy some coffee outdoors, now I
>    have to sit at the keyboard. This is unacceptable! ;)

> [...]

 From /etc/defaults/periodic.conf:

# 400.status-pkg
weekly_status_pkg_enable="YES"                # Find out-of-date pkgs
pkg_version=pkg_version                           # Use this program
pkg_version_index=/usr/ports/INDEX-9      # Use this index file

There's an override script in ports-mgmt/portupgrade that uses it's
database, also.

John M. Cooper