Date:      Thu, 8 May 1997 09:06:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Service <jservice@OHT.Hydro.ON.CA>
To:        andrzej@tu.kielce.pl
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS/yp '+' entries in passwd and group

>>>>> "Andrzej" == Andrzej Szydlo <andrzej@tu.kielce.pl> writes:

Andrzej> Hi,
Andrzej> How should '+' enries in /etc/passwd and /etc/group files look like
Andrzej> and how do I add them for NIS/yp to work? I use FreeBSD 2.2 on both
Andrzej> client and server.
Andrzej> I tried to add +:*:: and some other combinations using vipw, but it
Andrzej> always complained about wrong format.

This has worked for me. Put "+:" on the last line by itself to include *all*
the yp users or "+user:::::::::" to include a particular user called "user".
Vipw will complain about bad entries so you must edit /etc/master.passwd by
hand.  Make a backup copy of /etc/master.passwd. Carefully edit
/etc/master.passwd and add the NIS entries.  Execute pwd_mkdb
/etc/master.passwd to "register" them.  If all goes well then cd ~user
should do something on the client machine.

--
James (Jim) R.R. Service            Internet: jservice@oht.hydro.on.ca
Ontario Hydro Technologies