Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2007 18:19:20 -0700
From:      Jo Rhett <jrhett@svcolo.com>
To:        John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Doug Barton <dougb@dougbarton.us>
Subject:   Re: named.conf restored to hint zone for the root by default

On Aug 3, 2007, at 6:12 PM, John Merryweather Cooper wrote:
> I would appreciate it if the personal attacks ceased.

There was no personal attack there.  I never called him names or made
any remark about his lifestyle or anything else.  I did say that he
isn't paying attention to the people who disagree with him, but that
is an observable fact.

> As an observer
> with no ax to grind on this issue, it is apparent that slaving the
> root
> zone is technically possible, but not necessarily good policy.

Actually, it has been argued/shown-by-those-who-would-know that while
you can do it, it won't work in a stable manner once everyone starts
doing it.  The protocol itself is not designed for many unknown
associations, really.

> It would
> be nice if those arguing against slaving the root zone would
> articulate
> the specific effects on top-tier servers and quantify them.

This has been done, both here and on the DNS Operations list where
this is actually topical.  Repeatedly.  This topic is dead, horse
beaten to crap, except that Doug Barton really loves this idea and
won't listen to why it won't work, and why it shouldn't be done, and
why he shouldn't have done it that way.   He just keeps coming back
and saying "now lets talk about this some more..."

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek

Silicon Valley Colocation