Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 12:47:45 -0000
From:      paul@originative.co.uk
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk, dfr@nlsystems.com
Cc:        archie@whistle.com, sobomax@altavista.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG, julian@whistle.com
Subject:   RE: DEVFS, the time has come...

Where does this happen though?

If we go with Doug's idea (which seems quite neat), then the device
subsystem will present devices for each of the slices/partitions that
the low level disk handling code finds during the probe phase.

The mirroring of slices and subsequent concatenation of the mirrors, or
any other combination of slice munging that might take place happens
later doesn't it, using something like vinum. If so then can't vinum
become responsible for modifying the device view, i.e. if it creates a
concatenated partition then it could remove the two "low level" slice
devices and create a new disk device that represents the concatenated
area. You might not want to remove the low level devices or it could be
a vinum configuration option.

If something like vinum doesn't exist then you're not going to be doing
any mirroring or concatenation and Doug's solution would be fine for
creating the device nodes needed to represent the "actual" layout of the
disks, as opposed to a "view" of the disks that might be created by
vinum et al.

Paul.