Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 19:50:42 -0600 (CST)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu>
To:        James Raynard <fhackers@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggested addition to /etc/security

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, James Raynard wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 30, 1997 at 10:18:37AM -0700, Brandon Gillespie wrote:
> > I'm not sure if /etc/security is a good place for it, but I think it would
> > be a good idea to add this check (at least once a week) to somewhere:

> > echo "checking for invalid user or group ids:"
> >
> > find / -nouser -nogroup
>
> How about adding a check for processes run by non-existent users as well,
> while we're on the subject?  I've seen cases of people's login sessions
> living on weeks or even months after they've left...

That's odd -- the current rmuser should kill all of the user's processes
(but that change didn't make it into 2.2 until 2.2.5).

Guy Helmer, Computer Science Graduate Student - ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
Iowa State University               http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer
Research Assistant, Scalable Computing Laboratory, Ames Laboratory