Date:      21 Feb 1999 14:20:24 +0100
From:      Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE
To:        <mc4pc@goodnet.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FTP TAR

"Max Calvo" <mc4pc@goodnet.com> writes:

  > I am trying to ftp to a remote host and create a tar file from a
  > directory tree. Then I want to transfer the big tar file into my
  > computer. can anyone provide me my feedback if this is possible???

Some FTP servers provide the option of automatically creating a tar
file.  That is, if you type `dir' and see a directory `foo', then the
FTP server allows you to type `get foo.tar.gz' and it will make a
tarball of the directory on the fly, sending it to you.

I think the WU ftp server groks this.  Dunno about other FTP servers.

kai
--
I like _b_o_t_h kinds of music.