Date:      Sat, 18 Oct 2003 08:20:50 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: erorrs from spec_getpages

On 18 Oct 2003 at 13:39, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> DL> Hi,
> DL>
> DL> Last night I did a buildworld.  This morning I found this:
> DL>
> DL> $ cd
> DL> -bash: cd: /home/dan: Device not configured
> DL>
> DL> looking at /, it was empty.
> DL>
> DL> $ ls /home/
> DL> ls: /home/: Device not configured
> DL>
> DL> Looking at the console, I found this:
> DL>
> DL> http://beta.freebsddiary.org/tmp/mtwenty-console.jpg
> DL>
> DL> I rebooted.  The system couldn't find the disk.  I replaced the IDE
> DL> drive.  Still no disk.  Checked the BIOS.  The disk wasn't listed so
> DL> I added it.  I also deactivated the floppy because it had been
> DL> removed yesterday.
> DL>
> DL> A reboot was fine.  fsck went OK.  All seems well now.
> DL>
> DL> I'm doing another buildworld, building some ports, and running cvsup
> DL> on my ports tree to create disk activity.
> DL>
> DL> When that finishes, I'm going to run the manufacturer's test program
> DL> on the drive to see if any problems are found.
> DL>
> DL> Was this a hardware failure?  System failure?  Any recommended
> DL> courses of action?
>
> I'd bet a couple of (insert your preferred currency symbol here ;-) that you
> disc has been failed at your swap area; then, when pager decided to bring back
> (swapin) some pages it previously swapped out, it complaints.

Since the reboot (20 hours ago), the box has been fine.  It's done a
few buildworlds, and no problems have been seen.  The disk
manufacturer's diagnostics tools found nothing wrong with the drive.
At this point, I'm suspecting a bad cable (which was replaced), not
that I have any firm evidence that was the problem.

> Time to check whether you had backup of good quality ;-)

It's a fresh install.... There is nothing on it yet which needs a
backup.

Thanks.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/