Date:      Sat, 17 Aug 1996 00:59:13 +1000 (EST)
From:      Iain Templeton <iain@misnomer.clare.tased.edu.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wierd dialup problems (hangups etc)

I suspect this is not a FreeBSD problem, more a phone/modem problem, but I
was wondering if anybody else has these problems, and if so underwhat
circumstance.

These things are happening under 2.1.0-RELEASE and two modems by the same
manufacturer. (although different speeds 14.4 and 28.8).

1) When dialled in using a terminal program to access a shell, if a lot of
text is written to the screen (eg it scrolls and scrolls and ...), then
after a while the transfer just stops - and the only recovery is to hang
up and dial in again (you get used to doing | more after a while).

2) Z-Modem transfers regularly have bad packets (in fact every 4K), which
really kills the transfer rate (I was getting 400 bytes/sec on a 14.4K
modem - peak is about 1200 bytes/sec).

The really strange thing is that the lockup doesn't happen when doing a
binary download or using ppp, only with shells (which makes me think that
it could be my terminal program).

Oh yes the remote (ie on the server) is on a PABX, however the phone call
is on the same exchange (at least I hope so since they share the first two
number in the phone number, but still --this bit removed for political
reasons---).

Thanks for any insight you can shed on this (I still think its the
telephone network though)

Iain.

----
Iain Templeton:
	Sometime Claremont College Unix administrator
	Email: iain@ugh.net.au
----