Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:31:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Stephen Gill <gillsr@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Policy routing with IPFW

Hi There,

I've been having an issue trying to figure out a way to policy route
outbound packets from a multihomed machine through the proper interface
using IPFW to no avail.

I've tried several different incantations of IPFW fwd/forward
statements, and none of them seem to do the trick.

Basically, I have a host that has multiple Internet connections.  This
host is running FreeBSD 4.9 with the proper Kernel mods in place.  I
have a single default route.

I would like to add rules to my ipfw firewall policy that would do the
following:

- All traffic sourced from Interface 1 (dc0) should go out gateway 1
- All traffic sourced from Interface 2 (dc1) should go out gateway 2
- All traffic destined to Interface 1 (dc0) should return out gateway 1
- All traffic destined to Interface 2 (dc1) should return out gateway 2

Gateway 1 is on dc0 and Gateway 2 is on dc1.  I think you get the
picture.

Is this type of thing possible with IPFW?  If not, is there any other
module that would allow me to do this?  I don't care how ugly it gets,
just so long as it works.

Thanks in advance,
-- steve