Date:      Sat, 17 Sep 2011 01:15:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
To:        Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Cc:        Boris Kochergin <spawk@acm.poly.edu>, Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad CD-ROM hotplug with ATA_CAM

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> I fear that BIOS may have some issue. I have a T43 and found that, if
> I booted with the DVD
> installed, atacontrol (this was prior to ATA-CAM) would allow me to
> detach, but if I then
> inserted a hard drive and tried to attach it, the system would lock up.
>
> If I booted with a hard drive in the bay, I could detach, change
> drives, and attach with no
> problems. I don't recall if I could replace the hard drive with a DVD,
> though and I don't have
> physical access to that system ATM. Still, this sounds rather similar
> to what I saw and it
> was unique to the T43. I have had several other ThinkPads, all of
> which allow me to swap
> out the DVD for a different drive including the T520 I am using to
> enter this reply.

It's not entirely clear that this is relevant, but my T400 has very odd
behavior with the CD drive either disappearing or taking a very long time
to probe on warm boots.  Linux (or grub?  I don't remember.) also has some
trouble finding the root device (hard disk) on warm boots, but FreeBSD
does fine.

-Ben Kaduk